Davin News Server

From: "Byker" <byker@do~rag.net>
Newsgroups: can.politics,ont.general,alt.politics,alt.toronto,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Take heed, Justin: There ARE people out there who remember Mario Savio
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 22:31:38 -0500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGw4Ak7m2hY

When UC Berkeley tried to ban on-campus political rallies and fundraisers in
1964, the result was explosive. America was long overdue for a change.
People were tired of living under the stifling conformity left over from the
Eisenhower era. Savio's impromptu speech was the spark that set off the
powder. Every counterculture movement of the 1960s can trace its origin back
to that one speech. Here it is:

"We were told the following: If President Kerr actually tried to get
something more liberal out of the regents in his telephone conversation, why
didn't he make some public statement to that effect? And the answer we
received, from a well-meaning liberal, was the following: He said, 'Would
you ever imagine the manager of a firm making a statement publicly in
opposition to his board of directors?' That's the answer!

"Well, I ask you to consider: If this is a firm, and if the board of regents
are the board of directors; and if President Kerr in fact is the manager;
then I'll tell you something. The faculty are a bunch of employees, and
we're the raw material! But we're a bunch of raw materials that don't mean
to be—have any process upon us. Don't mean to be made into any product.
Don't mean ... Don't mean to end up being bought by some clients of the
University, be they the government, be they industry, be they organized
labor, be they anyone! We're human beings!

"There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes
you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively
take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the
wheels ... upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make
it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people
who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from
working at all!"

Hey, Justin Turdeau, whatch'a gonna do when your fellow Canucks finally get
sick and tired and fed up with your bullshit? The CBC won't parrot your
message forever...