Davin News Server

From: CaLaVeRa <cv@invalid.org>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: MerrickGarland held in contempt - DOJ refuses to uphold the law
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 17:42:23 -0600

On 6/15/2024 5:29 PM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-06-15 15:34, michael cook wrote:
>> On 15 Jun 2024, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> posted some

>>> So you agree that the Garland subpoena must be illegal because you can't
>>> prove it's not.
>>
>> He doesn't have to prove squat.  You made the claim, you support or
>> retract it.
>
> Tell him that.
>
> He's the one who first claimed that certain subpoenas were "illegal"...
>
> ...or is reading the entire thread too much for you?

Your obsession with our freedoms (while you lose yours in rapid fashion)
is an amusing bit of projection and transference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_expression_in_Canada

Freedom of expression in Canada is protected as a "fundamental freedom"
by section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms; however, in
practice the Charter permits the government to enforce "reasonable"
limits censoring speech. Hate speech, obscenity, and defamation are
common categories of restricted speech in Canada. During the 1970
October Crisis, the War Measures Act was used to limit speech from the
militant political opposition.

In the province of Quebec, freedom of expression is restricted in the
interest of protecting the French language. Outdoor commercial signage
may only use English text if it is half the size of the French text
under the Charter of the French language, or businesses can face
financial penalties. The Supreme Court ruled the signage regulation a
"reasonable" limit on the freedom of expression.

Internet censorship may also be undertaken by the corporations that
control access - Internet Service Providers (ISPs). In 2005, a major
Canadian ISP, Telus, blocked access to a website set up to publicize the
views of a labour union in conflict with the company. The Canadian
Telecommunications Act prohibits carriers controlling the content they
carry for the public; however Telus argued that it acted within the law,
citing its contractual power to block certain sites. The block
incidentally affected hundreds of unrelated websites...

Communications control institutions are governmental agencies that
regulate, may change the media, regulations, and new regulatory bodies.
In 1982, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau said: "When the media do not
discipline themselves, the state steps in".[22]: 91  There are some
inter-media control institutions that regulate themselves to avoid being
regulated by the government such as: The Canadian Association of
Broadcasters, the Ontario Press Council, publishers associations, and
advertising groups.

In 2004, broadcast carriers were to monitor foreign stations at all
times and delete any content that may go against the Canadian Charter of
Rights and Freedoms. Restrictions were placed on the broadcasting
license for Al-Jazeera, an Arabic-language news network, by the Canadian
Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Canada

In Canada, appeals by the judiciary to community standards and the
public interest are the ultimate determinants of which forms of
expression may legally be published, broadcast, or otherwise publicly
disseminated.[1] Other public organisations with the authority to censor
include some tribunals and courts under provincial human rights laws,
and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission,
along with self-policing associations of private corporations such as
the Canadian Association of Broadcasters and the Canadian Broadcast
Standards Council.

Over the 20th century, legal standards for censorship in Canada shifted
from a "strong state-centred practice", intended to protect the
community from perceived social degradation, to a more decentralised
form of censorship often instigated by societal groups invoking the
state to restrict the public expression of political and ideological
opponents.