Davin News Server

From: AlleyCat <katt@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Unum... Kymberly... Alan... Cook... Rudy? - Where Are All the Hurricanes?
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2024 13:03:01 -0500

"And Climate Change causes more hurricanes at the same time as it causes less hurricanes. "

From: Rudy Canoza <notgenx33@gmail.com>
	Such hurricanes will occur much more frequently by the end of the century, according
	to a new study. - It's the anthropogenic global warming, stupid.

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
> You done squalling over 1-6 hurricanes, ninny?
MAJOR hurricanes, little man... ...and more 6s of late. - The trend is definitely upward... - Nope.
Technology is, but hurricanes are not.

From: kami <f00@0f0.00f>
That's not god, its global warming, warmer seas = more frequent and bigger hurricanes.

From: kymhorsell@gmail.com
Climate change is making extreme weather events like wildfires, floods and hurricanes more frequent and
severe.

From: Loran <loran@invalid.net>
Hurricanes will become more intense, and sea levels on the east coast of the united States may rise even more
rapidly than they are already.

No doubt Ski Bunny's gonna come in here and whine about "trends". How old, Ski Bunny? 10 years? 20? 100!!??

===============================

Where Are All the Hurricanes?

Hurricane forecasters are bewitched, bothered, and bewildered. The Atlantic hurricane season was supposed to
be epic. Instead, it's turned into a real dud.

Huge storms wreaking havoc on coastlines from Aruba to Long Island were supposed to line up in the Eastern
Atlantic in June and hit us one at a time until late September. The damage was going to be historic and the
TV coverage was going to give climate change fanatics plenty of air time to vent that 'this is just a
foretaste" of what's to come.

But something puzzling occurred on the way to hurricane Armageddon: not much has happened. The Atlantic Ocean
has seen five named storms: two tropical storms, two hurricanes and one major hurricane this season.

"We definitely got started with an extremely active season," says Brian McNoldy, a hurricane researcher at
the University of Miami.

Indeed, Beryl achieved Category 5 status earlier than any other hurricane in history. The July storm had
meteorologists and forecasters scrambling for superlatives.

"I think it is kind of an omen of what the hurricane season will be," says Brian McNoldy, a hurricane
researcher at the University of Miami. "I think we will see some pretty amazing outlier events happen."

Alas, the internet is forever. And McNoldy's "omen" proved to be something much less. There hasn't been a
named storm since August 21 and the conditions, still optimum for large, dangerous storms to form, aren't
producing the killer hurricanes forecasters predicted.

The predictions and the reality of what's happening point to the dangers for scientists who rush to judgment
about a hypothesis based on wishful thinking. Scientists don't know why hurricanes aren't forming at the rate
expected. All the elements are present for big storms to form early and often. But they aren't. And while
there's still a chance that we will be slammed by one or two major hurricanes, the hurricane forecasts prove
that we still have much to learn about this planet and its weather.

Kelly Núnez Ocasio, an atmospheric scientist at Texas AandM University, believes the problem with the
forecasts for the Atlantic hurricane season starts in Africa.

Scientific American:

 The West African monsoon is a seasonal wind pattern that carries rain from the Atlantic Ocean over into West
Africa between June and September. Núnez Ocasio has studied how the monsoon affects the seeds of hurricanes.
And in a paper published earlier this year, she and her colleagues modeled how the atmosphere responds to
additional moisture.

 Those simulations suggest that in wetter conditions, the West African monsoon pushes a band of air called
the African easterly jet northward. Under normal conditions, that jet produces atmospheric disturbances
called African easterly waves, which can become hurricanes once they reach the Atlantic. But when the jet is
in a more northern position, it seems to inhibit the development and survival of these waves, Núnez Ocasio
and her colleagues found, making hurricanes less likely despite all the moisture.

Even though the water is 50% warmer than normal for this time of year, giving tropical depressions plenty of
energy to spin up really big storms, the factors that contribute to the formation of storms aren't present.

Nunez Ocasio also points to a huge dust cloud aloft in the Western Sahara. The cloud is very dry and keeps
the wet air from contributing to creating a big storm

"I don't see it changing so dramatically that we're going to see, all of a sudden, a fast spin-up of multiple
hurricanes before October," Núnez Ocasio says. "It's just too stable, and when conditions are stable, it's
hard to make it unstable. It's going to take quite a bit."

That hasn't stopped scientists from warning that things could always get worse.

"Conditions still appear very favorable for above normal activity during the remainder of the hurricane
season," says Jamie Rhome, deputy director of NOAA's National Hurricane Center.

There's a lesson to be learned from the errors in hurricane forecasting. While we know a lot about the
weather and how hurricanes form, what we don't know far exceeds our stored knowledge of how complex, chaotic
systems behave to create deadly storms or a bright, sunny day.

It's a lesson that will go unlearned by many who could use that knowledge to realistically predict climate
change.

=====

August:

Early Snows Hit Kyrgyzstan

Eastern U.S. Fells Cold Records, 150 Million To See Fall-Like Temps

UK's Coolest Summer Since 2015

First Significant Snows Forecast For The Alps

150 Years Of Antarctic Ice Data Reveals Decline In Wildfires Since 1920

Arizona Sees August Snow

Europe Forecast Stark Temperature Drop

Thousands Without Power In Tasmania As Cold And Snow Intensify

Foot Of Snow Closes Going-To-The-Sun Road

Rare August Snow Clips Montana's Peaks

Earth's Oceans Are Cooling Fast, And Scientists Have Yet To Come Up With A Party-Approved Reason Why

Snow In Wyoming And Colorado

August Snow Has U.S. Resorts Planning For Winter

Rare Snow And Century-Old Cold Records Fall In California

Rare August Chill Breaks Decades-Old Records

Rare August Snow For The Sierra Nevada

The Atlantic's Rapid Cooling

Heavy Snow Hits New Zealand's South Island

Record Summer Chills Sweep The Great Lakes, Northeast, and Southern Canada

Where Are The Hurricanes? Another Crushing Defeat For Team Climate Change

Antarctica Registers -75.5C (-103.9F), Sea Ice Surges

Winter Far From Over In New Zealand

Historical "Heatwave Days" Show No Trend

Researchers Pumped Extra CO2 Into A Forest, And Biodiversity Thrived

Low Temperature Records Fall In U.S.

Frosts Persist In South America, Impacting Coffee Prices

Island Nations Like Tuvalu: Growing, Not Sinking

Record Cold Sweeps Brazil

Antarctica Back Below -70C (-94F)

Summer Snowfall at Khardungla Pass

Polar Bear And Arctic Sea Ice Lies Persist

Polar Fronts To Hit South America

Antarctic Sea Ice Extent Gains 1 Million Km2 In A Week

Frigid Winter Forecast For NH

Vast Cold Wave About To Sweep The U.S.
Greek Study Challenges CO2-Temperature Causality
Arctic Shipping Season Is Shortening
Rapid Antarctic Sea Ice Growth
Heavy Snow Hits New Zealand
Too Many Polar Bears In Greenland
British Farmers Paid To NOT Produce Food
Record July Cold Hits Scotland
Summer To Quit Early This Year
Remarkable Summer Gains On The Greenland Ice Sheet
Arctic Sea Ice Extent: No Cause For Alarm
$78 Trillion To Fight The Hoax of 'Climate Crisis'