Davin News Server

Subject: Re: Does Slav Really mean Slave?
Newsgroups: can.politics
From: Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 21:56:48 -0400

On 2024-09-17 7:14 p.m., D. Ray wrote:
> Dhu on Gate <campbell@neotext.ca> wrote:
>
>> If I was to hazard a theory, Slavery is an African Invention,
>> exported to the rest of the Wierld startin' about two million
>> years ago.
>
> Note that slavery still exists in Africa.
>
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_contemporary_Africa>

Of course it does. It has been a cultural institution there for
centuries. Slavery was common among a  lot of cultures for a  long time.
  Much of the ancient world was built by slaves. A number of European
cultures practiced it.  It was common among the native people of North
America. The Africans turned it onto a major business. A number of
African nations made a major industry of warring on their neighbours to
catch people to be sold into slavery. The European slavers were rarely
involved in the capture of slaves. They just went to the ports and
loaded up with slaves that they bought from Africans.

FWIW my son lived in Uganda for close to a year about 25 years ago.  One
of his friends there was a Sudanese guy whose grandmother owned a number
of slaves.