Davin News Server

From: AlleyCat <katt@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: Trump Told The Truth About Crime (Of Course!) - Biden Administration Lying
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 21:56:26 -0500

On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 02:11:12 +0000, Mitchell Holman says...

> > Only 83% of Police Departments report their stats to the FBI, on top
> > of not responding to calls, fudging numbers at Mayors' and City
> > Councils' request, etc.

> Repost for us that complaint when Trump was citing FBI falling crime numbers.

The system that is in place now, wasn't in place when Trump was President, or did pansy-ass pussy not know this?

Know what the fuck you're talking about, moron.

=====

4 Reasons We Should Worry About Missing Crime Data

The FBI'S Crime Data Is Still Incomplete - And Politicians Are Taking Advantage

For more than 100 years, the FBI has been collecting crime data from local police departments across the country
through the Uniform Crime Reporting Program, which has been the gold standard of national crime statistics.

By 2020, almost every law enforcement agency was included in the FBI's database. Some agencies reported top-line
numbers, such as the total number of murders or car thefts, through the Summary Reporting System. Others reported
granular incident data with details about each reported crime through the newer National Incident-Based Reporting
System (NIBRS).

THEN IT ALL CHANGED IN 2021.

WAS Trump President in 2021?

In an effort to fully modernize the system, the FBI stopped taking data from the old summary system and only accepted
data through the new system. Thousands of police agencies fell through the cracks because they didn't catch up with the
changes on time.

The Marshall Project is tracking police agency participation using data obtained from the FBI. Here are four takeaways
from our analysis.

More than 6,000 law enforcement agencies were missing from the FBI's national crime data last year, representing nearly
one-third of the nation's 18,000 police agencies. This means a quarter of the U.S. population wasn't represented in the
federal crime data last year, according to The Marshall Project's analysis.

The old summary-level data reporting system, retired in 2021, was also revived last year when the FBI announced that it
would accept data through it again. It's unclear how many police agencies took advantage of the opportunity because the
participation data is not available yet. But many states, like Illinois, had already planned to phase out the old
system.

Reporting has increased compared with 2021, the first year the FBI changed the collection system, with 2,000 more
police agencies submitting their 2022 crime records. But the data gap still creates significant challenges for scholars
and policymakers to make sense of crime trends.
Many of the largest police departments, like the NYPD and LAPD, are still missing.

Some large police departments began to report data to the FBI again in 2022, like the Miami-Dade Police Department. But
the two largest police agencies in the U.S., the New York Police Department and the Los Angeles Police Department, are
still missing in the federal data.

A spokesperson from the LAPD said the department submitted crime data to the California Department of Justice using the
old data collections system, but is still working on complying with the FBI's new record standards. "The intent is to
have it implemented by January 1, 2024 as part of the rollout of the new  system," the spokesperson said.

An NYPD spokesperson said the department is currently collecting crime data in compliance with the new system. "We
anticipate that the agency will be NIBRS-certified in the very near future," the spokesperson said, but didn't offer a
specific timeline.

 Many large police agencies still missing from national crime data

Of the 19 biggest law enforcement agencies - each of which police more than 1 million people - seven were missing from
the FBI's 2022 crime data. The missing agencies include the LAPD, the NYPD, and police departments in Phoenix, San Jose
and New York's Suffolk County.

Agency							2021							2022
New York Police Department, N.Y.		No reporting						No reporting
Los Angeles Police Department, Calif.	No reporting						No reporting
Chicago Police Department, Ill.		Reported 7 months					Full reporting
Houston Police Department, Texas		Full reporting					Full reporting
Harris County Sheriff's Office, Texas	Full reporting					Full reporting
Phoenix Police Department, Ariz.		Reported 1 month					No reporting
Las Vegas Metro Police Department, Nev.	Full reporting					Full reporting
Philadelphia Police Department, Pa.	Reported 9 months					Full reporting
San Antonio Police Department, Texas	Full reporting					Full reporting
San Diego Police Department, Calif.	Full reporting					Full reporting
Dallas Police Department, Texas		Full reporting					Full reporting
Suffolk County Police Department, N.Y.	No reporting						No reporting
Miami-Dade County Police Department,Fl.	No reporting						Full reporting
Fairfax County Police Department, Va.	Reported 11 months					Full reporting
Nassau County Police Department, N.Y.	No reporting						No reporting
Montgomery County Police Department, Md.	Full reporting					Reported 2 months
San Jose Police Department, Calif.		No reporting						No reporting
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office,Fl.	No reporting						No reporting
Austin Police Department, Texas		Full reporting					Full reporting

 Source: Agency participation data compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Feb. 6, 2023, which was the
deadline for local agencies to submit crime data for the Q4 2022 quarterly report. Local agencies had until April 3,
2023 to submit data for the FBI's 2022 national crime report, so the final participation status may change.

Less than 10% of agencies in Florida and Pennsylvania are available in the national crime data, but many states have
near-perfect submission rates.

Most police agencies do not submit data directly to the FBI. Instead, a police agency usually submits crime data to the
state's law enforcement department, which acts as a data clearinghouse. The state agency then submits data from all the
agencies to the FBI.

In 2021, California and Florida were the only two states that were not certified with the FBI's new data collection
system on time, which meant neither state could submit any data at all by the FBI's deadline. Starting in 2022, both
states were certified to submit crime data through the FBI's new system.

After both states began submitting data, nearly 400 California police agencies were included in the FBI's crime data
last year, which represents half of the state's agencies. This was a significant jump from 2021, when only a handful of
agencies in California that directly submitted their records to the FBI were in the federal database.

In Florida, however, only 49 of the state's more than 500 agencies submitted data to the FBI last year, representing
less than 8% of the state's police departments. Some of the largest agencies, like the Miami Police Department, the
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, and the St. Petersburg Police Department, are missing from the national context.

While Florida agencies had the lowest participation rate in the federal crime data, Pennsylvania is a close second,
with more than 90% of the state's police agencies missing.

That's followed by New York State, where three-quarters of the agencies were missing from the federal database. That
includes the three police agencies in the state that had more than 1 million people in their jurisdiction: New York
Police Department, the Suffolk County Police Department, and the Nassau County Police Department.

On the other hand, 17 states were ahead of the curve and had nearly perfect participation in the FBI's crime data.
The patchy crime data has real consequences.

Over the last year, the patchy national crime statistics have led to confusion and uncertainty.

When the FBI released its 2021 national crime data last fall, it couldn't say if crime went up, went down, or stayed
the same. The FBI concluded that all three scenarios could be possible because of the gaps in the data collection.

The data issues affected hate crime statistics as well. When the FBI first unveiled the hate crime numbers, it looked
like they had dropped significantly. But the report missed hate crimes from nearly 40% of law enforcement agencies in
the country, and the agency faced outcry from experts and policymakers who said the numbers were "worse than
meaningless."

The FBI later went back to more than 7,000 police departments that didn't supply hate crime data, and asked them to
submit their numbers through the old data collection system that was supposed to be retired. When the FBI released a
new hate crime report this spring with more data, it showed a nearly 12% increase in hate crimes from 2020 to 2021.

In June, when Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced his presidential campaign, he bragged about Florida's crime rate
hitting a 50-year low in 2021. But his statement relied on incomplete data - more than 40% of the state's population
was missing from Florida's state-level crime data in 2021, as many police departments were transitioning their record
management system to the FBI's new standards.

In Wichita, the incumbent Mayor, Brandon Whipple, used faulty crime statistics in his bid for re-election earlier this
summer. Using data from the FBI's Crime Data Explorer, Whipple claimed that violent crime had been reduced by half
during his administration. But the reality was the FBI's data missed half of the violent crime that the Wichita Police
Department recorded, a confusion caused by the police department's attempt to transition its crime data reporting
system, the Wichita Eagle first reported.

As many police departments are still in the process of complying with the FBI's new reporting requirements, experts
predict that the national crime data is likely to be incomplete for years to come, and will leave more room to
politicize crime statistics without concrete evidence. These issues are likely to become more urgent as the country
moves closer to another election cycle where crime is certain to be a potent issue: In 2024, the FBI is likely to
release its national crime data just before the election.

"People will use crime data to say whatever they want," said Jeff Asher, a criminologist and co-founder of AH
Datalytics. "When you don't have that certainty of having nearly every agency reporting data, it means that you need a
lot of literacy to be able to combat items that are being stated in bad faith."

=====

Canada:

'Worst In The World': Here Are All The Rankings In Which Canada Is Now Last

Most Unaffordable Housing, Highest Cell phone Bills And Worst Rate of Acute Care Beds, To Name A Few

If you spend any time on social media, it's likely that you've seen this
graphic compiled by columnist Stephen Lautens that assembles 11 international
indices which feature Canada near the top spot. "Canada is broken? I don't
think so. Neither does the world," reads a caption.

Next time someone rants on how about how "broken" Canada is; or how badly we
are doing on the international stage... share some facts.

Numbers don't lie, Felicia.

https://archive.is/o/LnFRL/https://twitter.com/DIGuideBradley/status/1554545079314010112

Naturally, it only tells a partial picture. While Canada may dominate abstract
indices such as "quality of life" and "peace," there are plenty of far more
empirical indicators in which we measurably rank as among the worst in the
developed world.

There's plenty to like about Canada, but below is a not-at-all comprehensive
list of all the ways in which we are indeed very broken.

WE HAVE THE MOST UNAFFORDABLE HOUSING IN THE OECD

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development is essentially a
club of the world's 38 most developed countries. And when these 38 are ranked
against each other for housing unaffordability, Canada emerges as the clear
champion. OECD analysts rank affordability by comparing average home prices to
average incomes, and according to their latest quarterly rankings Canada was
No. 1 for salaries that were most out of whack with the cost of a home.

Housing by price to income ratio for the second quarter of 2022. That's Canada
on the extreme right.

https://archive.is/LnFRL/840da40d6fa3b7fef6fcccdfc1637d24e0786760.webp

WE HAVE THE WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE WIRELESS COSTS

Every year, the Finnish telecom analyst Rewheel ranks the world's most
expensive countries for wireless services. And last year, Canada once again
dominated. Across several metrics, Canada was found to be the most expensive
place in the world for mobile data. Analysts found that it would cost the
average Canadian the equivalent of at least 100 Euros to obtain a cell phone
plan with at least 100 gigabytes of mobile data. Across much of the EU, that
kind of cell phone plan could be had for less than 40 Euros.

https://archive.is/LnFRL/822bcfe750687b1ef6288ee7df5606fd15629289.webp

Canadian telecoms charge more than 10 times as much for 100 gigabytes of mobile
data as companies in France or Ireland.

Canadian telecoms charge more than 10 times as much for 100 gigabytes of mobile
data as companies in France or Ireland. Photo by Rewheel

WE HAVE THE LOWEST RATE OF ACUTE CARE BEDS AMONG PEER COUNTRIES

Canada's health system was particularly walloped by COVID-19 due to the simple
fact that most of our hospitals are at the breaking point even in good times.
Multiple times during the pandemic, provinces were forced into shutdown by
rates of COVID that had barely been noticed in better-prepared countries. A
ranking by the Canadian Institute for Health Information provides one clue as
to why. When ranked against peer countries, Canada's rate of per-capita acute
care beds was in last place, albeit tied with Sweden. Canada has two acute care
beds for every 1,000 people, against 3.1 in France and six in Germany.

TWO OF THE PLANET'S "BUBBLIEST" REAL ESTATE MARKETS ARE IN CANADA

For at least 15 years now, Canada has been a regular contender on rankings of
overheated housing markets. And the latest UBS index of world cities with
"bubbly" real estate markets is no exception. In their 2021 index, Toronto was
second only to Frankfurt in terms of bubble risk, while Vancouver ranked sixth.
Aside from Germany, Canada was the only country that saw two of its cities in
the top ten.

https://archive.is/LnFRL/1961e904e18e8cb533ff42c2eae7beb611827bd4.webp

Only two cities in the entire Western Hemisphere qualified as likely "bubble
risks," and they're both in Canada.

Only two cities in the entire Western Hemisphere qualified as likely "bubble
risks," and they're both in Canada. Photo by UBS Global Real Estate Bubble
Index 2021

WE RACKED UP COVID DEBT FASTER THAN ANYONE ELSE

The COVID-19 pandemic ushered in the most feverish global accumulation of debt
in the history of human civilization. So it's rather remarkable that amidst
this international monsoon of debt, Canada still managed to out-debt everyone
else. Last year, analysts at Bloomberg tracked each country's rate of public
and private debt accumulated during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Canada came in with an overall debt burden equivalent to 352 per cent of GDP.
While a handful of countries (Japan, France and Hong Kong) came out of the
pandemic with higher overall debt burdens, Canada outranked all of them when it
came to how quickly that debt had been accumulated.

Containers on rail cars waiting to be shipped east by rail at the Port of
Vancouver Tuesday, June 21, 2022. Photo by (Photo by Jason Payne/ PNG)

https://archive.is/LnFRL/5b7e25218f55d343b998db94c6748b57312dafaf.webp

THE PORT OF VANCOUVER IS (ALMOST) THE MOST INEFFICIENT IN THE WORLD

Last year - just as the global supply chain crisis got going - the World Bank
decided to rank the performance of the world's 370 major ports. Authors weighed
factors such as how long the ports kept ships waiting, and how long crews took
to unload a vessel. And when everything was added together, the Port of
Vancouver ranked 368 out of 370. The only places with worse scores were the
Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach. And it's not like our other
ports are much better. If Vancouver is too gummed up, you can always sail north
to Prince Rupert, which ranks 339 out of 370.

https://archive.is/LnFRL/ac861be6fb2f37d1463e7670c232b5cd548d5395.webp

Take that, Los Angeles and Long Beach. Photo by World Bank Group

Queues at Toronto Pearson International Airport. Photo by Peter J.
Thompson/National Post

https://archive.is/LnFRL/b32f7be38081069e5e696a0029996f6f3adaa760.webp

TORONTO PEARSON IS THE WORLD'S MOST-DELAYED AIRPORT

Flight delays are another category in which basically the entire world is
feeling the pinch. And yet, Canada still managed to outdo all of them. Last
month, CNN used data from the website FlightAware to figure out which airports
were seeing the highest rates of flight delays. In the number one spot was
Toronto Pearson, with 52 per cent of all flights out of the airport
experiencing some kind of delay. And it was a commanding lead; the second-place
finisher, Frankfurt, only managed to see 45.4 per cent of its flights delayed.
Toronto was also a contender in flight cancellations; with 6.9 per cent of its
scheduled flights never getting off the ground, it ranked fourth worst in the
world.

WE'RE ONE OF THE WORLD'S WORST ECONOMIES FOR FOREIGN INVESTMENT

A 2020 study out of the University of Calgary tracked foreign investment flows
into a cross-section of developed countries between 2015 and 2019. Virtually
every country on the list saw a surge in foreign cash during that period;
Ireland topped out the ranking thanks to its foreign investment climbing by
more than 115 per cent. Only four countries actually saw a reduction in foreign
investment: Mexico, Brazil, Australia and Canada. A report by the Business
Council of Canada noticed the same trend. "Canada is the second-worst in the
OECD on openness to foreign direct investment," it concluded.

https://archive.is/LnFRL/222c5fba154990485338650dcb55e413d85e080c.webp

WE DRIVE THE MOST FUEL-INEFFICIENT VEHICLES IN THE WORLD

In 2019, the International Energy Agency examined the fuel economy of the
world's private car fleets. On almost every measure, Canada led the pack in
driving unnecessarily huge, gas-guzzling vehicles. Per kilometre driven, the
average Canadian burned more fuel and emitted more carbon dioxide than anyone
else. Canadian cars were also the largest and (second only to the U.S.) the
heaviest. While it would be convenient to blame this on Canada being a sparse,
cold country with lots of heavy industry, our ranking was well beyond plenty of
other countries where that was similarly the case.