Davin News Server

From: citizen winston smith <sss@example.de>
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.california,sci.environment,or.politics,seattle.politics,alt.politics.media
Subject: Re: OT: Go ahead, explain how this isn't gibberish
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 16:12:26 -0600

On 9/20/2024 3:58 PM, Alan wrote:
> For the record:
>
> There is no "very large faucet".
>
> There is currently no way that turning such a faucet could divert water
> to California.

You must never have seen the Owens (dry) Lake or the film "Chinatown".

Let it alone Alan, you know what happens to nosey kitty kats...

https://youtu.be/XraW_dIy0rg

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-05-04-me-181-story.html

County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn proposed a big solution Thursday to Los
Angeles’ big water problem--digging aqueducts that would carry water to
California from the Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest and the
Snake River in Idaho.

The waterways not only would lick the drought, Hahn said, but also would
provide jobs to thousands of aerospace workers laid off because of
defense cuts.

“We’ve had proposals to tow icebergs, too,” commented Maury Roos, chief
hydrologist for the state Department of Water Resources. “This is a
little more serious than that.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/2015/04/10/a-water-pipeline-from-oregon-to-california/

https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/readers-opinion/article237605349.html

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-06-21/columbia-river-water-pipeline

https://columbiainsight.org/for-drought-plagues-california-diverting-columbia-river-water-is-a-pipe-dream-for-now/

For decades, the Pacific Northwest has responded to and fended off
efforts to divert its water, particularly from the Columbia River, to
the Southwest, and particularly to California or Colorado.

These “inter-basin transfers” were proposed from Oregon, Washington,
Alaska and British Columbia.

For example, in 1968 as Congress debated authorization of the Colorado
River Basin Project, House Interior and Insular Affairs Committee
Chairman Wayne Aspinall of Colorado said the authorizing bill would only
initiate a series of studies by the Department of the Interior.

“Water is the lifeblood of this area, and unless new sources can be
found, this thriving, prosperous, large segment of our Nation is, in my
opinion, on a collision course with economic disaster,” said Aspinall.

Northwest members of Congress noted the veiled threat of “new sources,”
to which Aspinall responded, “representatives of the Northwest felt that
their area was the target of the studies for new sources of water. This,
of course, is understandable, since water flow records on the Columbia
River show that more than 10 times the average annual flow of the
Colorado River empties unused into the Pacific Ocean each year.”

The word “unused” became something of a rallying cry for the diverters.