Davin News Server

From: R Kym Horsell <kymhorsell@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: Another High Latitude Initiated Atlantic Hurricane
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 01:13:45 -0000 (UTC)

In alt.global-warming Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-09-29 15:34, JTEM wrote:
>>  ??Alan wrote:
>>> No, actually. If the Sahara is greening it means it is getting WETTER.
>> We're not having a debate here.
>> The Sahara desert formed during climate optimum, only AFTER
>> the climate put some distance from the cold of the "Ice Age."
>> The Sahara was green when the earth was colder.
>> The so called "Permafrost" wasn't there during "The ice age."
> While all you say MAY be true, it isn't necessarily so that if (accepted
> arguendo) the Sahara is greening NOW, it is only because it's getting
> cooler.
> Hot temperatures with more MOISTURE would result in the Sahara getting
> greener.

The Sahara is getting hotter. Not much doubt. Pretty much everywhere on
the equator is getting warmer around 1/2 the global rate.

This is what even the models created by Exxon 50y ago confirmed.

According to the plots of the few met stations out there, the desert is
not so much getting wetter but the rain events -- when they happen --
produce a few more mm than they used to.  For each 1C warmer air holds
around 17% more water vapor.

The trends for increasing temps are robust.
But the trendlines for the precip annual total and monthly averages
still only show as "weak" at the 80% confidence level. In most
science we'd like the confidence of a trend to at least be 90% or higher.

--
'Round about the dawn of time
The dreaming all began