Davin News Server

From: R Kym Horsell <kymhorsell@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: Re: "Green" Solar Panels
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 23:37:08 -0000 (UTC)

In alt.global-warming Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-10-04 14:34, Dhu on Gate wrote:

>>> What kind of car was that?
>>> All cars built for sale in North America have had a standard OBD-II port
>>> that can be read by various scanners costing anywhere from $20...
>>> ...to a lot more depending on complexity.
>>> So what was that "mil grade encryption", hmmm?
>> You've not looked at automobile firmware, EVER, have you?
> You think you need to break the encryption on the firmware to get
> diagnostic information?

Things are not usually as simple as you might hope. :)
Modern cars have a network. The batteries, the fuel system, the
ignition, the  dashboard, the lights, are all on a mini internet.
You think this is not encrypted? What if a thief got in there
and convinced the central locking  system it has received a pass key
from a key or fob?

And the more compliacted things get the more complex they HAVE to
get just to catch up to the first part of the complications.
And the best part about this from the biz angle -- it makes it easier
to fence off access to something and charge anyone that wants access rent.
So obviously we're on a path where everything will become increasingly
more complex and costly.