Davin News Server

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: Re: "Green" Solar Panels
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 16:55:43 -0700

On 2024-10-04 16:37, R Kym Horsell wrote:
> In alt.global-warming Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> You've not looked at automobile firmware, EVER, have you?
>> You think you need to break the encryption on the firmware to get
>> diagnostic information?
>
> Things are not usually as simple as you might hope. :)
> Modern cars have a network.

I'm quite aware of that, thanks.

> The batteries, the fuel system, the
> ignition, the  dashboard, the lights, are all on a mini internet.

No. It is NOT a "mini internet".

> You think this is not encrypted? What if a thief got in there
> and convinced the central locking  system it has received a pass key
> from a key or fob?

Well since thieves ARE breaking into cars using the CANbus network, your
thesis that it must be encrypted has already failed, hasn't it?

> And the more compliacted things get the more complex they HAVE to
> get just to catch up to the first part of the complications.
> And the best part about this from the biz angle -- it makes it easier
> to fence off access to something and charge anyone that wants access rent.
> So obviously we're on a path where everything will become increasingly
> more complex and costly.

I have no doubt that there can be edge cases where the OBD system of the
car doesn't display the necessary information for a problem.

But the vast majority of cases let the owner purchase a (relatively)
inexpensive tool that allows that to learn things that would have cost
that hundreds if not thousands of dollars at an auto shop.