Davin News Server

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: Re: "Green" Solar Panels
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 18:15:22 -0700

On 2024-10-04 17:54, R Kym Horsell wrote:
> In alt.global-warming Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL. Google CAN+encryption says your research is lacking.
>> I know it exists.
>>
>> It is NOT applied to automobile CANbus systems.
>
> Again, you are making a claim that something is not possile.
> Such claims are bound to be wrong.

I am making no claim about what is possible.

I'm telling you want is true:

There are currently no cars that use an encrypted CANbus.

> On the climate change side of things you seem to be on the white hat
> side. It's the nay-sayers that are claiming some part of
> climate science is "impossible". And almost always they are wrong.

Utterly irrelevant.

> In this case you may be getting confused between what the CAN protocol
> defines and what it can be used for. Perhaps aided by an old textbook
> or two. :)
>
> The Ethernet protocol does not definie an encryptin standard.
> Old textbooks dont even mention ecryption. E.g. telnet and ftp
> were old utilities that sent everything "clear".

Utterly irrelevant.

> But that doesn't mean encrypted packets are not sent over the Internet
> and that is standard now.
>
> You need to google something like "is there some vehcile manufacturer that
> uses encrypted CAN as a standard feature". You  will find they exist
> and one of them was mentioned in the footnote at the bottom of the OP.
Even after fixing your typos:

'No results found for "is there some vehicle manufacturer that uses
encrypted CAN as a standard feature".'

Taking away the quotes, and you get one article about Hyundai using
encryption...

...for its INFOTAINMENT system.

Not the entire care.