Davin News Server

From: Dhu on Gate <campbell@neotext.ca>
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: Stayin Alive was: Luck of the Draw
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2024 06:14:50 -0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2024 22:38:30 -0000 (UTC), Dhu on Gate wrote:

> An interesting, and useful, contemplation:
> https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/oct/07/the-big-idea-should-we-be-thinking-about-luck-differently
>
> with which I must disagree on a small point:
>
> "Of course, we wouldn’t be here to muse on our good fortune
> if this chain of events had not occurred, and this
> “survivorship bias” means that it is philosophically
> challenging and, I believe, rather pointless, to talk
> about the probability of our existence."
>
> I don't think it is at all pointless to point out
> how fucking Lucky we are to be here at all: a bunch
> of bugs on a rock spinning around a giant nuclear
> fireball.
>
> HooRah!
>
> Dhu

However I am guessin' that the rigors of living
off-planet, where the only way to stay alive
will be to stay smarter than the rocks, will
have some inverse effect to what hunting the
wily bean for a living has done to us down
here on Urth:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/the-human-brain-has-been-getting-smaller-since-the-stone-age

The first society to viably establish off planet
is on the path to Something More ;-)

Dhu

--
Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglais.
 Duncan Patton a Campbell