Davin News Server

From: Hiram Freeborn <lds@example.ut>
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,can.politics,can.general
Subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 13:58:15 -0600

On 10/14/2024 1:24 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 19:13:11 +0000, Hiram Freeborn wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2024 1:00 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know how anyone thinks a stuffing in a bird will feed
>>> about 20 people at a Thanksgiving feast.
>>
>> No possible way - that requires a separate covered dish of stuffing.
>>
>> And lots of other sides, brought pot luck style.
>>
>> Which is what Thanksgiving was meant to be from the get go.
>>
>> A feast for many, made by many.
>>

> Yes!  A very large dish of dressing and yes, everybody
> contributes something to the feast so the host is not
> worn to a frazzle when it's time to eat.  Nor are they
> broke from the expense of the meal.

Ding!

This may be one old tradition where despite the absence of first
nations' peoples at the tables across the land we at least got the
intent and spirit of it right.

Our rcent sample cost for the spread by year:

https://www.fb.org/news-release/farm-bureau-survey-shows-thanksgiving-dinner-cost-up-20

Nov 16, 2022
Spending time with family and friends at Thanksgiving remains important
for many Americans and this year the cost of the meal is also top of
mind. Farm Bureau’s 37th annual survey provides a snapshot of the
average cost of this year’s classic Thanksgiving feast for 10, which is
$64.05 or less than $6.50 per person. This is a $10.74 or 20% increase
from last year’s average of $53.31.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/cost-of-thanksgiving-dinner

2023
The cost of Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people was down about three
dollars from last year, according to the American Farm Bureau Federation
(AFBF). But the average cost for 2023 is still $61.17, which is more
expensive than in any pre-pandemic year.

And your holiday dinner cost was likely higher if you swapped out turkey
for ham or cranberry sauce for a veggie tray. That’s because, aside from
whipping cream, those items decreased the most in price from last year.

But what you eat isn’t the only factor determining the cost of
Thanksgiving dinner. People in some areas of the United States are
expected to pay more this year. Taxes on groceries also play a role in
some states.

Now up in Saskatchewan, wow - here's inflation for ya:

https://www.discoverweyburn.com/articles/how-much-does-a-thanksgiving-meal-cost-lets-find-out

After a fun shopping spree, it was revealed that the average cost of a
Thanksgiving dinner can hit around $112.