Davin News Server

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: Justice department engaged in trying to steal the election -
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 12:38:28 -0700

On 2024-10-20 11:16, NoBody wrote:
> "Republican Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin hit back at the Department of
> Justice's lawsuit against the state over an election reform law that
> he said was most recently used by previous Democratic state leaders
> without intervention from the federal government.
>
> "To be clear, this is not a purge. This is based on a law that was
> signed into effect in 2006 by then-Democrat Gov. Tim Kaine. And it
> starts with a basic premise that when someone walks into one of our
> DMVs and self-identifies as a noncitizen, and then they end up on the
> voter rolls, either purposely or by accident, that we go through a
> process, individualized – not system, not systematic – an
> individualized process based on that person's self-identification as a
> noncitizen to give them 14 days to affirm they are a citizen,"
> Youngkin said during an appearance on "Fox News Sunday," anchored by
> Shannon Bream.
>
> "And if they don't, they come off the voter rolls. And by the way,
> they have one last safeguard, which is they can come and same day
> register and cast a provisional ballot," he added.
>
> Youngkin was responding to a DOJ suit filed on Oct. 11 alleging the
> state, its board of elections and elections commissioner violated a
> federal law by carrying out an executive order by Youngkin. The order
> directs municipal and/or state officials to cull names of people who
> are "unable to verify that they are citizens" to the Department of
> Motor Vehicles for voter registration purposes."
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/youngkin-hits-back-doj-suit-over-common-sense-voting-law-culls-non-citizens-from-voter-rolls
>
> Note: this law has been in force and applied since 2006.  Suddenly the
> Justice Department is "concerned" about the law.

'Section 8(c)(2) of the NVRA, also known as the Quiet Period Provision,
requires states to complete systematic programs aimed at removing the
names of ineligible voters from voter registration lists no later than
90 days before federal elections.'

<https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-virginia-violating-federal-laws-prohibition-systematic-efforts>

Note: the National Voter Registration Act has been in force and applied
since 1993.

And there was no need to be concerned about the Virginian law when it
was applied outside the 90 day period before an election.

'Clean voter rolls are essential, but Youngkin’s late, politically
driven ‘purge’ deserves challenge'

<https://virginiamercury.com/2024/10/18/clean-voter-rolls-are-essential-but-youngkins-late-politically-driven-purge-deserves-challenge/>