Davin News Server

From: R Kym Horsell <kymhorsell@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: CO2 Seems To Be Highly Overrated
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 01:15:11 -0000 (UTC)

In alt.global-warming AlleyCat <katt@gmail.com> wrote:

> The unaltered (raw) "maximum" temperature data (for July and August) from the U.S. historical climatological network (USHCN) still shows
> our climate was warmer in the past.  CO2 seems to be highly overrated.

The hillbilly equivalent of saying the backing on the mirror is
highly overrated, or the gas pedal in a car is highly overrated because the
engine does all the work.

CO2 and other greenhouse gases are why there is life on earth.
The moon and the Earth are the same distance from the sun, but
the Earth is around 30C warmer. The moon's sunny side is over 100C
and its dark side is less than -150C.

That 30C extra comes from GHG holding in some of the heat.
While they are transparent to light they are not transparent to heat (IR).
The sun is around 5000K and basic physics says it must therefore radiatiate
mostly in the visible light range. So light comes in from the sun and
a lot of it makes it to the earth's surface where it gets turned into heat.
It then begins its journey back to space but finds -- surprise -- there's
a whole bunch of things in the atm that want to intercent it.
Funny! That didn't happen on the way down!!

When heat hit a GHG molecule it gets absorbed and makes some of the twisting
action in the molecule speed up just a little bit. But this doesn't
last for long. Nature is all about balance. After a short time the energy
that was absorbed is released again as a photon of heat. Easy come, easy go.

But there's a twist. Where to go? The new photon of heat is not the
same one that arrived in the GHG molecule. That one was headed up and out.
But the new one 1/2 the time goes down. This starts a long chain of
interactions with other GHG molecules until FINALLY, one day, the
energy that came in the original light photon all that time ago will be
taken out by a heat photon into space where it can retire to a farm upstate.

But all that mucking around bouncing off GHG exacts some toll -- the
earth has held onto some heat for a time. The long it holds onto it
the warmer the earth becomes. The more GHG in the atm, the warmer the
earth becomes. 280 ppmv as it was in the 1850s makes the earth 30C
warmer than it would have been with no CO2 or other GHGs.
It's calculated by most people including Exxcon scientists back in the 60s
and 70sd that doubling CO2 over that 280 ppmv would raise the overall
temp of the earth about 3C +-.

It gets complicated because CO2 is the "gas pedal" to the earth's climate.
CO2 raises the temp a little bit and the first thing the earth does in
retalliation is raise more water vapor from the oceans and lakes.
And water vapor is -- you gussed it -- another 3-atom molecule and
therefore a GHG. So more WV in the atm raises the temp a bit more.

But if you like the asscoiated lower life expectancy and tropical insects
and diseases, then you'll just lurv what happens next.

--
[Hillbilly thinks he's a scientist:]
Calling Out All You Here Who Only THINK You Are a Scientist - Physicist: CO2 Ret

NEWSFLASH: mirrors don work coz light travels so fast mirror mollycools only hab
a tiny tiny time to do anythin!!
-- rkh, 5:32 PM