Davin News Server

From: Lil-man-ball <suck@ra.mentos>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: Never Expected Stupid To Get It, Anyway
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:39:26 -0600

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:10:01 -0700
Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2024-04-16 08:41, Lil-man-ball wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:28:46 -0000 (UTC)
> > R Kym Horsell <kymhorsell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  =20
> >> In alt.global-warming Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote: =20

> >> Such stuff has been shot down for 30y on AGW fora. Everything from
> >> sunspots to anut fanny's parasole has been offered up as an alleged
> >> alternative to manmade GHG.
> >>
> >> But none of them pass the basic numer tests. =20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Wrongo, dick doctor, now learn up before you make an arse of
> > yourself again:
> >=20
> >=20
> > https://ia803200.us.archive.org/11/items/mdocs/Books/The%20Next%20End%2=
0of%20the%20World%20-%20The%20Rebirth%20of%20Catastrophism%20by%20Ben%20Dav=
idson%20%282021%29.pdf
> > =20
>=20
> Literally NONE of what follows applies to our sun.

That's a really stupid denial, even for you.

> Micronovae are a phenomenon of white dwarf stars in a binary system
> with a companion star.

Of which many scientists believe we coexist with...just so you know...

> [...]
> > 5.1 What is the Solar Micronova?
> > Disaster (noun): Combination of dis (ill, negative, pejorative) and
> > aster (star). The sun shines down on the Earth with life-giving
> > light that looks yellow and white as it crosses the sky, but one
> > day that will change. Dust, gas, and plasma will begin to
> > accumulate in the sun=E2=80=99s atmosphere, causing a dimming to a redd=
ish
> > hue. When the sun darkens almost black from accumulation, the light
> > and solar plasma cannot escape, and the energetic pressure inside
> > the solar atmosphere grows. The pressure eventually overcomes the
> > outer shell, erupting in a micronova. The initial eruption will
> > produce a bright flash of visible, UV and x-ray light, which may
> > thermally and energetically destroy parts of the biosphere. This is
> > the burning aspect described by the Buddhist Sermon of the Seven
> > Sons. This phase will not last for very long, a few minutes at most
> > or even possibly just a few seconds. For the next 4-20 hours (until
> > the micronova shockwave arrives at Earth), energetic protons and
> > electrons will be bombarding the upper atmosphere, delivering an
> > incredible excess of electricity. Ambient atmospheric electricity,
> > telluric currents, and atmospheric pressure cells connected to the
> > global electric circuit will all be amplified. When the shockwave
> > arrives, it will be a long impact, hours to days to even weeks. At
> > first the shockwave will be comprised mostly of plasma, accelerated
> > to high speeds, which
> >=20
> > would induce electrical disruptions on Earth that would destroy
> > every power grid, create more-unstable atmospheric electricity
> > conditions, and could even cause a sun-facing magnetic field
> > collapse, bringing an arc discharge (similar to a magnetar burst)
> > from the sky to the ground (pictured). It will also begin to bring
> > the isotopes of the nova. The bombardment will transition from
> > plasma to dust and other molecules as the second component of the
> > wave arrives, which will have the isotopes of heavy elements in the
> > nova attached to the dust, and which will present itself in vastly
> > non-homogenous ways. If you are facing the sun when the plasma
> > arrives, it may be nighttime when the dust and heavier components
> > hit. The turning of the Earth through the phases of the shockwave
> > impact means that the isotope distribution is different across the
> > globe. This is missed in all dating techniques. At this point, the
> > dust begins to block out the sky, and it lingers in the inner solar
> > system while the larger pieces of the shell arrive- the impactors.
> > Silicate material like glass and congealed/cooled plasma and dust
> > that have agglomerated in the shell expansion will arrive at the
> > end of the shockwave, and the bombardment here likely plays a key
> > role in how bad of a disaster the Earth actually faces. If larger
> > pieces hit the Earth, it could turn a bad event into a cataclysm.=20

https://www.sciencealert.com/our-sun-could-have-been-born-with-a-twin-calle=
d-nemesis

A recent model on how stars are formed adds weight to the hypothesis that m=
ost =E2=80=93 if not all =E2=80=93 stars are born in a litter with at least=
 one sibling.

Our own star at the center of the Solar System is probably no exception, an=
d some astronomers suspect that the Sun's estranged twin might be to blame =
for the death of the dinosaurs.

After analysing data from a radio survey conducted on a dust cloud in the P=
erseus constellation, two researchers from UC Berkeley and the Harvard-Smit=
hsonian Astrophysical Observatory concluded back in 2017 that all Sun-like =
stars are probably born with a companion.

"We ran a series of statistical models to see if we could account for the r=
elative populations of young single stars and binaries of all separations i=
n the Perseus molecular cloud, and the only model that could reproduce the =
data was one in which all stars form initially as wide binaries," said UC B=
erkeley astronomer Steven Stahler in June 2017.

For years, astronomers have wondered if the large number of binary and trip=
le systems of stars in our galaxy are created close to one another, or if t=
hey fall in together after they've formed.

The 'born together' hypothesis has been the favorite, and simulations devel=
oped in recent decades have shown almost all stars could be born as multipl=
es that often spin away on their own.

Empirical evidence supporting these simulations has been limited, unfortuna=
tely, which makes this new work rather exciting.

"Our work is a step forward in understanding both how binaries form and als=
o the role that binaries play in early stellar evolution," said Stahler.

As part of the VLA nascent disk and multiplicity survey (VANDAM for short),=
 the researchers mapped the radio waves leaking out of a dense cocoon of du=
st about 600 light-years away that contained a whole nursery of young stars.

The VANDAM survey allowed for a census of stars younger than half a million=
 years old called Class 0 stars =E2=80=93 mere babies in star terms =E2=80=
=93 and stars a little older between 500,000 years and 1 million years, cal=
led Class 1.

Combined with data on the shapes of the surrounding cloud of dust, the scie=
ntists found 45 lonely stars, 19 binary star systems, and a further five th=
at contained more than two stars.

While their results predicted all stars were born as binaries, they amended=
 their conclusion to take into account limitations in their model by saying=
 most stars formed inside the dense cores of dust clouds are born with a pa=
rtner.

"I think we have the strongest evidence to date for such an assertion," sai=
d Stahler at the time.

Looking closely at the distances between the stars, the researchers found a=
ll binaries separated by a gap of 500 AU or more were Class 0 and lined up =
with the axis of the egg-shaped cloud surrounding them.

Class 1 stars, on the other hand, tended to be closer together at around 20=
0 AU and weren't aligned with their 'egg's' axis.

"We don't yet know quite what it means, but it isn't random and must say so=
mething about the way wide binaries form," said Sarah Sadavoy from the Harv=
ard-Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.

If most stars are born with a partner, where's ours?

A distance of 500 AU is roughly 0.008 light-years, or a bit under 3 light-d=
ays. To put it into perspective, Neptune is about 30 AU away, the Voyager 1=
 probe is currently just under 140 AU away, and the nearest known star Prox=
ima Centauri is 268,770 AU away.

So if the Sun has a twin, it's almost certainly not easily visible in our n=
eighborhood.

But there is an hypothesis that our Sun has a twin that likes to swing by e=
very now and then, and stir things up.

Given the name Nemesis, this theoretical trouble maker has been proposed as=
 a reason behind an apparent 27-million-year cycle of extinctions on Earth,=
 including the one that saw off most of the dinosaurs.

An astronomer from the University of California Berkeley named Richard Mull=
er proposed 23 years ago that a red dwarf star 1.5 light-years away could p=
eriodically travel through the icy outer limits of our Solar System, stirri=
ng up material with its gravity, knocking a few more space boulders our way.

A dim passing star such as a brown dwarf could also explain other anomalies=
 at the fringes of our Solar System, such as the odd, wide orbit of the dwa=
rf planet Sedna.

There's no sign of Nemesis, but a long-lost binary partner for our Sun coul=
d fit the bill.

"We are saying, yes, there probably was a Nemesis, a long time ago," said S=
tahler.

In which case, our Sun would have gathered the lion's share of dust and gas=
 it seems, leaving its twin dark and stunted.

No wonder it's a little pissed off.