Davin News Server

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_New_York_=22trials=22_and_election_interference_?=
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
From: Max Boot <max.boot@lathymes.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:25:41 -0700

On 4/16/2024 9:08 AM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-04-16 08:05, Max Boot wrote:
>> On 4/16/2024 5:23 AM, NoBody wrote:
>>> Why is it necessary to have the trials just this moment during the
>>> election cycle?  No one has come up with a reasonable explanation.
>>
>> The reason is Trump. If he hadn't kept seeking unreasonable delays in all of
>> his trials, they would already be over. Trump is the one who pushed them deep
>> into the election cycle.
>>
>> There is no election interference aspect to the trials — none whatsoever.
>>

> And since he has proclaimed he would definitely be found innocent, he should
> have wanted them speedily concluded.

Agreed, up to a point. At least, that's partially the case if Trump is telling
the truth about his confidence that he would be found innocent. However, this
gets to his entire immunity claim. If Trump really has immunity from prosecution
on some charge, then he would have a right not to be tried at all, regardless of
whether or not he is confident of an acquittal. I think most legal scholars
believe his claims of immunity are bullshit. Trump and his asshole lawyers are
advancing the clearly wrong theory that *anything* Trump did *while* president
becomes a "presidential act." So if he became enraged and kicked his toady
Waltine Nauta in the crotch, he would have immunity from prosecution after
leaving office because that was a "presidential act." That cannot possibly be
true. It's as absurd as the Seal Team 6 hypothetical. It is *not* the case that
anything a president does while in office is a "presidential act."

I think Trump has *little* confidence of an acquittal, and that's why he keeps
trying to delay trial. It has worked very well for him in the past.