Davin News Server

From: Lil-man-ball <suck@ra.mentos>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: Y'all Keep Sharp Objects Away From Unum - Don't Worry Bi-Polar
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:03:53 -0600

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:59:24 -0700
Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2024-04-17 09:13, Lil-man-ball wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:28:59 -0400
> > JTEM <jtem01@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> EVs suck. Lithium is a crisis. For real.
> >
> > There are other far more promising and less toxic batter
> > technologies being suppressed, so...
> >

> Ah, the classic conspiracy nutcase argument:
>
> "There are secrets being kept from us...
>
> ...but somehow I know all about them!"

Are you devoid of all knowledge but the Goo Goo brand?

https://newatlas.com/tag/batteries/

https://newatlas.com/energy/iron-air-grid-battery/

The advantages of an iron-air battery are simple and clear. Direct
reduced iron is the cheapest form of iron available, and was previously
mainly used in steelmaking. It's extremely abundant, and totally safe.
So are water and air, the other two main ingredients.

https://newatlas.com/technology/simple-tweak-creates-safer-more-efficient-solid-state-batteries/

Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has come up with a small tweak that could have big consequences. By making a small change to how a type of solid-state battery is made, the scientists managed to eliminate defects in the electrolyte film, opening the way to safer and more efficient batteries.

Solid-state batteries have a lot of promise. Unlike current lithium-ion batteries, solid-state ones don't contain flammable liquids, which are a major drawback as illustrated by stories of laptops and electric cars bursting into flames. Solid-state batteries are also less toxic, have higher energy densities, charge faster, and survive more recharge cycles without degenerating.

https://newatlas.com/energy/form-energy-iron-battery-plant/

Form's grid-scale batteries are built around huge flat iron-air cells, about a meter (3.3 ft) square, around 50 of which are slotted into modules the size of a washing machine and bathed in a liquid electrolyte. These cells effectively work using the rust cycle; you charge them up by applying energy to iron oxide, turning it back into metallic iron, then add oxygen to initiate the rust process and release energy.

Iron is cheap and abundant, making these modules extremely affordable. They last a long time, they're safe and they're recyclable; if you tear down a battery you can take the metal out and use it elsewhere. These factors all combine to make them an exceptionally affordable form of energy storage, with a Levelized Cost of Storage (LCoS) more than 10 times lower than lithium batteries, even before you take the expected lithium resource squeeze into account.

They won't charge or discharge as quickly as lithium, of course, so
they'll likely work alongside lithium grid batteries in hybrid
configurations, the iron-air batteries dealing with longer, slower load
demands while the lithium packs handle momentary spikes. Form says that
at scale, they'll deliver more than 3 MW of output capacity per acre,
and they'll excel where energy needs to be stored for around 100 hours
or more.

_Damn but you are one dumbass anocratic agency denial shill!_