Davin News Server

From: AlleyCat <katt@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Liberal Try Liberal Bullshit Semantics... Fails Horribly
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 12:33:06 -0500

On Thu, 2 May 2024 09:04:08 -0700,  Alan says...

> On 2024-05-01 21:20, AlleyCat wrote:

He was QUOTING th experts, dipshit... I never said HE was "the" expert. You
don't HAVE to be an expert on ANY subject to report ABOUT experts and what THEY
say.

See? You just fuck everything up, trying to convolute the topic. You really
have a screw loose, if you think the author of a story ABOUT experts, is the
one I was saying was an expert.

> >> I'm not pontificating about subjects and calling myself an "expert", loser.

WHO did that?

> > To tell or ask ANYONE about their credentials, means YOU must be a peer WITH
> > the same or higher credentials to even ask or criticize, and you are not.
>

> If I'm getting medical advice, you're suggesting I have to BE a doctor
> in order to ask about that person's qualifications?

You can ask for qualifications, but you KNOW that's not what I said, but you
can't criticize, unless you KNOW what the fuck you're talking about, and you
don't, seeing how you are not a fucking doctor, dumb ass.

You know that's not the gist of what I was saying. As two NON-experts, you and
the other guy, you can neither say with conviction he's wrong and you're right,
since you're BOTH not credentialed AS climate experts.

> Think that one through again, loser.

I don't have to... it's SO fucking apparent, you haven't a clue.

=====

Narcissists Don't Learn From Their Mistakes Because They Don't Think They Make
Any

BEND, Ore. - When most people find that their actions have resulted in an
undesirable outcome, they tend to rethink their decisions and ask, "What should
I have done differently to avoid this outcome?"

When narcissists face the same situation, however, their refrain is, "No one
could have seen this coming!"

In refusing to acknowledge that they have made a mistake, narcissists fail to
learn from those mistakes, a recent study from Oregon State University -
Cascades found.

The mental process of analyzing past actions to see what one should have done
differently is called "should counter-factual thinking." Counter-factual
thinking is the mental process of imagining a different outcome or scenario
from what actually occurred.

All of us engage in some level of self-protective thinking, said study author
Satoris Howes, a researcher at OSU-Cascades with the OSU College of Business.
We tend to attribute success to our own efforts, but blame our failures on
outside forces - while often blaming other people's failure on their own
deficiencies.

"But narcissists do this way more because they think they're better than
others," Howes said. "They don't take advice from other people; they don't
trust others' opinions. ... You can flat-out ask, 'What should you have done
differently?' And it might be, 'Nothing, it turned out; it was good.'"

Narcissism is typically defined as a belief in one's superiority and
entitlement, with narcissists believing they are better and more deserving than
others.

The study, published recently in the Journal of Management, consisted of four
variations on the same experiment with four different participant groups,
including students, employees and managers with significant experience in
hiring. One of the four was conducted in Chile with Spanish-speaking
participants.

Participants first took a test that ranked their narcissism by having them
choose among pairs of statements ("I think I am a special person" versus "I am
no better or worse than most people"). In the first of the four variations,
they then read the qualifications of hypothetical job candidates and had to
choose whom to hire. After choosing, they were given details about how this
hypothetical employee fared in the job, and were assessed regarding the extent
they engaged in "should counterfactual thinking" about whether they made the
right decision.

The four variations employed different methods to analyze how counterfactual
thinking was affected by hindsight bias, which is the tendency to exaggerate in
hindsight what one actually knew in foresight. The researchers cite the example
of President Donald Trump saying in 2004 that he "predicted the Iraq war better
than anybody."

The authors note that prior research has shown that hindsight bias is often
reversed as a form of self-protection when a prediction proves to be inaccurate
- e.g., Trump saying in 2017 that "No one knew health care could be so
complicated" after failing to put forth a successful alternative to the
Affordable Care Act.

In the OSU study, researchers found that when narcissists predicted an outcome
correctly, they felt it was more foreseeable than non-narcissists did ("I knew
it all along"); and when they predicted incorrectly, they felt the outcome was
less foreseeable than non-narcissists did ("Nobody could have guessed").

Either way, the narcissists didn't feel they needed to do something differently
or engage in self-critical thinking that might have positive effects on future
decisions.

"They're falling prey to the hindsight bias, and they're not learning from it
when they make mistakes. And when they get things right, they're still not
learning," Howes said.

Narcissists often rise in the ranks within organizations because they exude
total confidence, take credit for the successes of others and deflect blame
from themselves when something goes wrong, Howes said.

However, she said, over time this can be damaging to the organization, both
because of low morale of employees who work for the narcissist and because of
the narcissist's continuing poor decisions.

To avoid the trap of hindsight bias, Howes said individuals should set aside
time for reflection and review after a decision, even if the outcome is
positive. Whether the decision was favorable or unfavorable, they should ask
themselves what they should have done differently. And because narcissists
don't engage in this process, Howes said it would be wise to have advisory
panels provide checks and balances when narcissists have decision-making
authority.

Co-authors on the study were Edgar E. Kausel at the Pontificia Universidad
Catolica de Chile, Alexander T. Jackson at Middle Tennessee State University
and Jochen Reb at Singapore Management University.