Davin News Server

From: AlleyCat <katt@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,can.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.usa.republican
Subject: Re: LOL... Ski Bunny's So Liberal, He Conflates "Bias" With Lying
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 13:35:56 -0500

On Thu, 2 May 2024 11:11:53 -0700,  Alan says...

> To conflate the two, they both have to exist, loser.

Uhhh... no. That's what YOU'RE trying to do, with "bias = lies".

YOU imply bias means someone's lying, when you can't find the lie.

LOL... in YOUR mind... they do. That's why I wrote it, stupid.

YOU conflate the two.

Why Narcissists Aren't As Smart As They Think

Narcissists are less likely to use critical thinking processes that are
important for solving problems and making sound decisions, new research from
the University of Waterloo shows.

The researchers found that while many narcissists may perceive themselves as
highly intelligent, critical thinkers, they are less likely to use important
reflective thinking strategies when solving problems, Therefore, the high
levels of confidence they have in their intellectual abilities are often
misplaced.

Shane Littrell, lead author and cognitive psychology PhD student at Waterloo,
said that while there is research connecting personality to behaviour, "our
research takes a step toward understanding how personality is associated with
reflective thinking."

As part of a series of studies investigating the relationship between
narcissism, impulsiveness, and cognitive reflection, two types of narcissism -
grandiose and vulnerable - were assessed. Grandiose narcissists feel more
entitled, superior to others, and have higher self-esteem, while vulnerable
narcissists feel more insecure, defensive, introverted, and have lower self-
esteem.

In one study, the researchers recruited 100 participants from the United States
and assessed their performance on the Cognitive Reflection Test, self-reported
engagement in reflection, metacognitive insight, Need for Cognition, and
intuitive thinking. In a later study, the assessments were repeated, with the
additional examination of the impact of overconfidence on cognitive ability.

"We found that grandiose and vulnerable narcissism are negatively associated
with certain types of important reflective thinking processes," said Jonathan
Fugelsang, who co-authored the study along with Evan Risko, both supervisors of
Littrell and cognitive psychology professors at Waterloo.

Their results confirmed that grandiose narcissists are significantly
overconfident in their intellectual performance. "We also found that when
vulnerable narcissists attempt to engage in cognitive reflection, they're more
likely to find it a confusing and ineffective experience," said Littrell.

The research has helped to identify the associations between narcissism and
reflective thinking processes, which could have important implications for
broader societal questions. "In light of recent events over the past few years,
the impact of narcissism (and other more negative personality attributes) has
seen an increased interest from the media and the public at large. So, we felt
this study might help answer interesting questions related to that larger
public conversation," Littrell said.

"With this research, we are able to learn more about the various factors
involved in critical thinking and decision making. The better we understand the
things that can lead people to make poor decisions, the more we can help them
make better ones," Risko said.